Monday, November 2, 2009

Conservation Trip

Our class learned a lot about water conservation and more specifically, our local water shed. While most field trips are a long way away it seems, this one was a short 5 minute bus ride away. We first toured a near by wood lot and searched for evidence of wild life and saw quite a bit.

This was followed by some work identifying some mini wild life at the local creek. We captured bugs in nets and looked at them closely. As well, we examined and identified a wide variety of water dwelling bugs.

The students had a great time and in their reports following the trip they said, "I loved looking at the water animals and naming them. We had a sideways swimmer and leeches".

"I learned that these little bugs we were looking at can tell us if the creek is healthy. If there are lots of bugs, our creek is healthy. We also learned that we need to conserve water and not pollute our water shed".

Many thanks to the Conservation Area for organizing the trip for us.

1 comment:

  1. It is a small world, our fifth grade students have a Watershed Awareness day as well. They go to our high school's agriculture barn where they are taught about our local watershed by volunteers and people from the Missouri Department of Conservation. Water is a vital part of our economy since the two biggest industries, chickens and canoeing, both rely on good water quality.

    On a side note, I am sorry you are so restricted by privacy rules. You can tell from my blog that I don't have that issue. I truly believe our students suffer because of them.

    Mr. C

    ReplyDelete